How to Apply for a
Certificate of Competency
(aka Local License)
1. Examination and Sponsorship: Apply for sponsorship with Lee County to test through one of the following testing companies Prometric Inc., Gainesville Independent Testing Services or Prov. To view a list of the test names and codes for each company click here, contact the testing company directly for information on study material. The sponsorship fee is $35, you must pass the test with a score of 75% or greater before submitting an application for a certificate of competency. You may apply for sponsorship by sending an email to ContractorLicensing@leegov.com , include the following information in your message.
After receipt of your message, Lee County will send you link to where you can make your $35 payment online using a credit card or a check.
If the applicant has previously taken an exam and the applicant has actively been engaged in providing these services for at least two years prior to application, the applicant may provide Lee County with these exam results. Lee County will determine if the prior exam results are acceptable.
2. Application: Submit a completed application along with all requirements to Lee County.
3. Board Hearing: Attend a scheduled board hearing (currently meeting once a month) the Board must approve your application before a license can be issued.
4. Insurance and Fees: After board approval, you will need to provide the required insurance documentation and submit the Certificate of Competency fee of $90. Application for Workman’s Compensation Exemption can be made through the State of Florida's local Bureau of Compliance office located at 2295 Victoria Ave Suite # 163, Fort Myers, Florida 33901. Phone #: 239-461-4006. You may visit the State of Florida's website for more information by clicking here.
5. Issuance: You will be issued a Certificate of Competency which will be required to be renewed yearly on September 30.
PHONE: (239) 533-8895 FAX: (239) 485-8577
MAILING ADDRESS: P.O. BOX 398, FORT MYERS, FL. 3390
PLEASE MAKE CHECKS PAYABLE TO: LEE COUNTY BOCC.